The Parables of Jesus – The Pharisee and the Publican
The Parables of Jesus
The Pharisee and the Publican
A “Good-Enough” Lesson
1. If Jesus asked “Why should I let you into Heaven?” what would your answer be?
-I Peter 3:15 -Philippians 2:12 -II Corinthians 13:5
2. This parable illustrates two different men, 2 different prayers, and two different results
3. One man had the right answer, one did not; one was saved, one was not.
I. The Pharisee’s Answer
A. He Believes (but not saving faith) (James 2:19)
B. He Praises (but himself and not God)
C. He Prides himself (but in his own righteousness not God’s)
D. He Sings (“How Great I Am”, not “How Great Thou Art”)
E. He Leaves without salvation
II. The Publican’s Answer
A. He Believes (he is a sinner)
B. He Pleads (for the mercy of God)
C. He Knows (he is not good enough)
D. He Humbles himself
E. He Leaves with salvation
III. What is Your Answer?
A. Some say “good” people go to Heaven and “bad” people to Hell
1. Romans 3:10,12
2. Ecclesiastes 7:20, Isaiah 64:6
B. Some say it is all about “good” works
1. Ephesians 2:8,9
2. Titus 3:5,6
C. Most men think they are “good enough”
IV. The “Good Enough” Test-
If you think you are good enough how would you know? Let’s see how you do obeying the 10 commandments…
A. The Purpose of the Law
1. Psalm 19:7- to convert the soul
2. Romans 3:19,20- by proving our guilt
3. Galatians 3:24- acts as a “teacher” to bring us to Christ
4. I Corinthians 1:18- the Cross is offensive and foolish to those who believe they are “good enough”
B. Have You Obeyed the Law? (Exodus 20:3-17)
1. The Priority Test- Have you always put God first in your life?
2. The Idolatry Test- Have you created a god in your own mind you are comfortable with instead of accepting what God has revealed about Himself?
a. No Hell, No Devil, No “Matter”
b. I Corinthians 6:9,10
3. The Blasphemy Test- Have you used God’s Name as a cussword? (Exodus 20:7)
4. The Sunday Test- Have you set aside one day of every week to worship God in the way He commands? (Exo. 20:12-16)
5. The Authority Test- Have you always honored your parents? (see also Romans 1:28-32)
6. The Angry Test- Have you had wicked hatred in your heart towards someone?
a. Matthew 5:21,22
b. I John 3:15, Matt. 7:22
7. The Adultery Test- Have you looked at a man/woman with lust in your heart?
a. Matthew 5:27,28
b. Hebrews 13:4, I Corinthians 6:9
8. The Thievery Test- Have you ever taken anything that didn’t belong to you? Have you ever robbed God?
a. I Corinthians 6:10
b. Malachi 3:10ff
9. The Deceivery Test- Have you ever lied to or deceived another? (Revelation 21:8)
10. The Neighborly Test- Have you ever desired something that didn’t belong to you? The truth is that desire meant more to you than obeying God.
a. Colossians 3:5
b. I Corinthians 5:11
C. The Only Possible Conclusion – “All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23)
1. Does your sin against God scare you? Humble you? It should
2. Do you think a “good” God will overlook your sin?
3. Would a “good” judge or a “corrupt” judge turn a blind eye to the sin of the guilty?
D. The Only Way to be “Good Enough”
1. Romans 6:23
2. Romans 5:8
3. Galatians 3:13